Bennelong Village Businesses (BVB)
The Bennelong Village Businesses campaign is an initiative of John Alexander MP that encourages the residents of Bennelong to shop local and support local shopping villages.
The BVB program is designed to reinvigorate community shopping villages through a combination of strategic business initiatives.
The benefits of shopping local are wide and varied, including supporting the local economy, the convenience of staying close to home and, of course, the social benefits to elderly or less mobile local residents.
The campaign began with the establishment of the 10 reasons to shop local flyer which was customised identifying one of the 22 villages (over 200 businesses) in the Bennelong electorate as the village of the month – culminating in a local promotional campaign for that village, which included:
- A mail drop of the “Village of the Month” flyer advertising the businesses within the village, at NO COST to the businesses
- Reduced advertising costs in The Weekly Times (TWT) newspaper
- Regular onsite support by JA
- Awareness campaign to ‘shop local’ in JA’s newsletters and social mediaThe Village of the Month campaign continues to go from strength to strength in which recent highlights include Cox’s Road’s turn in May – over 2000 homes receiving free advertising from the small businesses
- The Schools’ Table Tennis program began in Bennelong in 2011 when, during visits to local schools, John Alexander identified cultural divides when it came to participation in sport
- The common purpose for all within is to improve our businesses through combining, with each other, our villages to establish them as a vital and valuable component of our communities