Three times a year, I award Bennelong Local Sporting Champions Grants to young people from across the region who have shown exceptional promise and dedication to their sports.
The Local Sporting Champions program is designed to support young people participating in state, national, and international level sporting championships as either an athlete, coach, or official.
In order to be eligible to apply for a grant, young people must meet the following criteria:
- Be turning 12 to 18 years of age in the same calendar year as the nominated sporting championship.
- Be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent resident status, residing in Australia.
- Be participating as an athlete, coach, umpire or referee in:
*an official state championships endorsed by the relevant Australian Sports Commission (ASC) recognised national sporting organisation (NSO), or
*an official state school sport championship endorsed by a School Sport Australia member body, or
*an official national championships endorsed by the relevant ASC recognised NSO, or
*a national school sport championships endorsed by School Sport Australia
*an international competition as a member of an official Australian team, endorsed by an ASC recognised NSO or School Sport Australia.
- Be living more than 125km from the championship venue, and travelling greater than 250km return to participate in the nominated championship.
- Must complete and submit application to the ASC prior to the nominated championship commencing.
- Must not have received a Local Sporting Champions grant for an application submitted in the same allocation year (1 March – 29 February).
- Must not have received $500 or more in federal government funding for the nominated championship.
- Must not be participating in a professional competition that involves prize money greater than $500.
I would encourage those youth eligible, to apply.
Information about the grants and application can be found here: http://www.ausport.gov.au/participating/local_sporting_champions